Roadmap


This page has been created to record a timeline of the Xentu game engine project. The main goal is to show how much has been accomplished since the project was conceved. And also to give hints at what needs to be completed to get the engine to a version 1.0.
2022

??? 2022

Android port of the engine to reach alpha and go public. iOS may take a while longer as we don't currently have the hardware to test.

??? 2022

Build a full production game to show what can be done with the engine.

March 2022

Get the other target desktop platforms supported (FreeBSD and HaikuOS). And to put the work in to make a WebAssembly build happen so that games can be ran in a web browser.

Feb 2022

Iron out a few of the kinks in the engine, and publish the SpriteSheet and Narrator tools for download from this website.

Jan 2022

Repos for extensions to help VS Code and Atom have been created but need submitting.

Jan 2022

The alpha is ready to go, website is live!

2021

Dec 2021

A lot of clean-up work moving towards the alpha launch of the engine. Website is also worked on extensively to prepare for launch.

May 2021

Initial commit for the prototype I built in C++ in Visual Studio is pushed to GitHub, which shows an OpenGL game scripted with Lua using the LunaFive bindings.

Aug 2021

Designed an NSIS installer script to enable building the windows SDK installer.

Jul 2021

Engine for the first time compiled with CMAKE on Windows, Linux and MacOS on a Mac Mini purchased for testing. At this stage the OpenGL version requirements were cemented.

Jun 2021

Added support for other compilers such as MSVCC. Lots of development work happened around this time, the SDK was added to the project, including the Sphinx docs.

May 2021

Large sways of the engine are now functional, with addition of a sprite font rendering system to allow the drawing of text on the screen, and a lot of the features previously available to the C# version now work much faster in the C++ version.

Jan 2021

C++ prototype shows enough promise to be able to start an official version of the engine. A lot of planning goes into deciding how to best lay things out. And it is decided to build using CMAKE and primarily via the GCC compiler first to force me to keep a focus on cross-platform goals.

2020

Nov 2020

Good progress is made to learn C++, however it takes quite a few months following tutorials, and Covid-19 has a large impact on progress. Learn a lot about Lua thanks to YouTubers The Cherno, and Javidx9.

May 2020

Initial commit for the prototype I built in C++ in Visual Studio is pushed to GitHub, which shows an OpenGL game scripted with Lua using the LunaFive bindings.

2019

Dec 2019

The C# prototype is shelved due to performance concerns. And work begins on re-writing the engine in pure C++. Only problem is I don't know C++ to a good enough standard to do it, so I start classes learning the language.

Oct 2019

Spent three weeks attempting to write a version of the engine in Java, which actually proved fruitful. We now have a path to porting the engine to Android easily with slightly better performance than the C# edition.

June 2019

The C# version of the engine and SDK works correctly on Ubuntu & Windows. At this point the engine is a fair bit sluggish still relying on NLua for bindings.

February 2019

The GitHub repositories are set-up for both the engine and the SDK. Code originally resided on BitBucket as GitHub had not yet introduced private repositories. The website domain is also purchased.

January 2019

The design draft for the engine is created, outlining the key goals. Work begins on the initial code outline, and planning for the SDK begins.

2018

December 2018

Prototype is tested on various devices examine efficiency. Various shortcomings are addressed, with the result being a working demo running on a Raspberry PI Zero W.

September 2018

Construction of an initial concept for the engine begins using C# MonoGame and NLua.